Skip to main content

How I met my daughter's father

So, like all once upon a time stories... There was a girl who fell in love despite her family's dinasaurous efforts of keeping her away from any boy.

I was made to study in a girls' school, neighborhood boys were given bribery (I am sure, in form of Goldmohar tobacco pouches or cheap beedi) to ignore me completely, my father befriended strictly those who were blessed with girl child only.

I am sure Lord Budhha's father didn't put such herculean efforts to keep her son away from worldly sorrows that my father put to keep me away from every male of my age who was not my brother in one simple or some complex way.

But...
But is a strong word. It opens the doors of opportunities in times as dark as our respected politician's heart.

Sitting hundreds of miles away, my father was busy sipping his tea hot after throwing me in one of nation's best  "Girls' University"

So, "but happened" in my life and I found that in this high-walled, heavily guarded University, there was a chor darwaza which got opened to the world...daily!

Yes, those were the timings when we could surf WorldWideWeb... Slower than a backbencher going towards classes and protected by firewalls that girls in my hostel extinguished everyday with new proxies.

Sites as innocent as Orkut were prohibited so one proxy site redirected me to a place far far away where a boy just started to explore the new grounds just like me.

I knew him but didn't know him. He was my batchmate from chemistry classes but my bespectacled eyes never found him interesting enough just as no one else's eyes found me worth any attention.

We became friends only to realise that you need to be as insane as the other to become friends.
This boy was a much-needed break from my girlfriends. I was myself with him with no need to discuss fashion, dressing sense or even basic hygiene.
The only friend who understood why can't I take baths everyday, who just by some superpower knew why it's no big deal to wear same kurta for 3 days straight, who digitally hi-fived me after knowing that I weigh as much as him and who immediately empathized with me after knowing that my roommates dust/sweep/mop the room daily.... He was my soulmate and from Shinchan to Kamasutra, we could talk about anything and everything.

He told me that no decent boy in his right mind would marry me which totally made sense to me.
I tried fixing him up with a few 'hot and beautiful' friends of mine but he was disappointed to know that SOME girls need to get pampered or atleast appreciated.

We were in need and destined to stay friends indeed. We helped each other to set our expectations right and decided to get married...with each other.

What kind of hell broke loose in our families is another story altogether but we got hitched and curse Orkut till this day...

Comments

  1. I knew all this... But padhke maza aaaya.. beautifully written... "Isiliye hi orkut banned tha"...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Diwali shopping for us...

Dear baby, Today, I had a little argument with your mausi. She was asking me to buy you new clothes for Diwali. I was saying that we still have 4-5 new dresses and those are perfect for Diwali. She was not convinced. Then your nani also lectured me some for not buying new clothes for Diwali. I tried to tell them that in past people did not have the luxury of buying new clothes every other month, infact, going to the markets was a luxury in itself. So they used to wait for festivals to go to the market and splurge on shopping. The rarity of this was a charm in itself to mark the beginning of the festivities. But.. today, we go outside every other day. Malls are a place to hang out and if you see something CUTE for the kids, the temptation is too hard to resist. Even if you don't go outside then online shopping is there. Hardly goes a month or two when I am not buying some dress or some toys as you are outgrowing your stuff so quickly. Then why all this halla gulla about Diwali

For the sake of love!!!

Have you ever been to a wedding? Ofcourse, you have! Then have you ever wondered about the story behind a wedding? A story that these two people, who are the most confused on their big day, may have? I always think about it. And try to have a sneak peek into their story, if possible. And then, I exclaim at their reasons to get married... 👉 Because mummy Papa said he is the right one for me. 👉 Because I am 29 and want to get settled. 👉 Because he earns well. 👉 Because my ex left me. I want to show him. 👉 Because he can afford my kind of lifestyle. Be a little more daring and ask parents of bride and groom about their reasons to choose this very Munda or kudi. And the typical answers you will hear are... 👉 Because we are of same status. 👉 Because he did engineering from so-so institute. 👉 Because she is ambitious and dono mil ke kamayenge. 👉 Because they will "let her" do job. 👉 Because family is so open-minded that they "allow" their DILs to