Skip to main content

No Diwali shopping for us...

Dear baby,

Today, I had a little argument with your mausi. She was asking me to buy you new clothes for Diwali. I was saying that we still have 4-5 new dresses and those are perfect for Diwali. She was not convinced. Then your nani also lectured me some for not buying new clothes for Diwali.

I tried to tell them that in past people did not have the luxury of buying new clothes every other month, infact, going to the markets was a luxury in itself. So they used to wait for festivals to go to the market and splurge on shopping. The rarity of this was a charm in itself to mark the beginning of the festivities. But.. today, we go outside every other day. Malls are a place to hang out and if you see something CUTE for the kids, the temptation is too hard to resist. Even if you don't go outside then online shopping is there. Hardly goes a month or two when I am not buying some dress or some toys as you are outgrowing your stuff so quickly. Then why all this halla gulla about Diwali shopping when prices are at their peak?

And then one may think why not? What's so wrong with some diwali shopping.

I remember that every Diwali we used to go to Agra from our small town for a shopping spree. Dresses, bedsheets, torans, lights, toys, idols and what not. While returning our hearts used to be filled with sheer joy and our car hardly had any space for us even. :P

Then one fine year, a few things went wrong. Father did not have the huge amount of money to splurge. Still he took us to Agra because he did not want us to feel bad. He made us buy a lot many things yet he was not content as it was not as huge as every year. And then miraculously, he met an old acquaintance who had borrowed some 10k from him long time back. That man returned those 10k that day. It was a big amount 12-15 years back. My father's joy knew no boundary. He took us to Raja mandi and everyone shopped to their heart's content. Everyone was way too happy. But I was not... Because suddenly, I knew that having a dress less would not make any difference. Having a simple paper toran would not make a difference. Old and clean bedsheets would do.

I was not the silly immature teenager anymore... I grew up... I grew up in one single day.
We had enough, But only because that enough was not as enough as before...My father was sad.

That incident, which may be my father don't even remember, changed me forever. I am still a minimalist and buy only out of necessity. And I want you to value every single thing that I buy for you.

And this is why Diwali shopping is not a routine at our place. I wish no child has to grow up suddenly.

Yours
Mumma

Comments

  1. Very well expresses the feelings... ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Ur article... Full of emotions..
    Very nice..
    Keep it up mumma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it completely... You rock like always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I met my daughter's father

So, like all once upon a time stories... There was a girl who fell in love despite her family's dinasaurous efforts of keeping her away from any boy. I was made to study in a girls' school, neighborhood boys were given bribery (I am sure, in form of Goldmohar tobacco pouches or cheap beedi) to ignore me completely, my father befriended strictly those who were blessed with girl child only. I am sure Lord Budhha's father didn't put such herculean efforts to keep her son away from worldly sorrows that my father put to keep me away from every male of my age who was not my brother in one simple or some complex way. But... But is a strong word. It opens the doors of opportunities in times as dark as our respected politician's heart. Sitting hundreds of miles away, my father was busy sipping his tea hot after throwing me in one of nation's best  "Girls' University" So, "but happened" in my life and I found that in this high-walled, h

Don't hush them now....

The minute I start scrolling through my social media account, I start seeing #metoo. And as if seeing stories of women who went through all the horrible things was not enough, people are creating jokes with the hashtag, sharing posts against the campaign that are full of lewd comments from equally insensitive people with sick mentality. Isn't it all, at the end, justifying women's decision to stay silent??? They knew that they wouldn't be believed, that they would be seen as gold-diggers and character less! First thing that all the people are asking is, "Why did they stay silent for so long?" I ask, how do YOU know that they stayed silent? May be they spoke but no one wanted to support them and they alone didn't have courage and resources to go against their predators. May be they spoke but their families hushed them. May be they spoke but they had no platform to make their voice audible. May be they spoke but they were threatened. May be..