Skip to main content

New age Fairies and their Fairytales

There was a fairy. No, not the one with long hair, floor length gowns or tiara on the head.

But, a fairy....Like you and every other girl you know. She was a fairy because her parents named her Fairy and treated her like one.

Fairy was a happy, helpful and jolly girl and her life was perfect. Perfect... until she started her new school and an ugly reality hit her hard. Her classmates started calling her names because she had braces in her teeth and pimples on her face.

Fairy was dismayed because as far as she knew beauty had nothing to do with one's physical appearance.

When Fairy's mother picked her up in the evening, she was sad and perplexed. She had many questions floating in her tiny head and tears in her eyes. Mumma understood that something was not right that day.

When they got settled in the bed for their good night sleep. Mumma hugged her tight and asked the reason of her being so sad.

"Kids in my school think that I am not beautiful."

"That must be hurtful."

"yeah, but more than that, its confusing. Because God created us all and how could any of His creations be anything but beautiful?"

"You are such a wonderful kid Fairy. You already know the truth."

"Then why does it still make me sad?"

"Because there is a monster in your head who wants to pull you down."

"A monster?"

"Yes, a monster. A monster who makes people believe that one needs to look a certain way to look beautiful."

"But that's not true. And it would be boring if everyone looked kind of same."

"Yes, Sweetheart. But in some people's head, the monster has already won so they think that to look beautiful people need to have a particular complexion or a standard height or some certain pound of weight."

"Well, that's funny. How would a world look where every girl is 5'5" with 100 pounds of weight!"

"You know that because monster in your head has not won yet."

"And how would I defeat this monster? What about all the self doubts?"

"You are already putting up a good fight Fairy, without any help of me. You just need to have faith in yourself. No one can make you feel inferior until you think so yourself."

"You are right mommy. I know what I need to do. I will walk in my class with my head held high. I will do what I love without having a care about my looks."

"I told you all the answers are there in your head already."

"Thank you for hearing those answers mommy."

"Love you darling."

And Fairy had a good sleep that night and every night afterwards. Because she had defeated the monster in her head. And she fought her battle on her own...Like a true fairy.

Moral: How you look, doesn't matter.
             How you respond, does matter.
With the confidence of yours and faith of your loved ones, you can conquer any battle in the world. You can be your own Savior... Your own Fairy.


Comments

  1. That was a beautiful story, every child must read.. Pls keep up the good job

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Diwali shopping for us...

Dear baby, Today, I had a little argument with your mausi. She was asking me to buy you new clothes for Diwali. I was saying that we still have 4-5 new dresses and those are perfect for Diwali. She was not convinced. Then your nani also lectured me some for not buying new clothes for Diwali. I tried to tell them that in past people did not have the luxury of buying new clothes every other month, infact, going to the markets was a luxury in itself. So they used to wait for festivals to go to the market and splurge on shopping. The rarity of this was a charm in itself to mark the beginning of the festivities. But.. today, we go outside every other day. Malls are a place to hang out and if you see something CUTE for the kids, the temptation is too hard to resist. Even if you don't go outside then online shopping is there. Hardly goes a month or two when I am not buying some dress or some toys as you are outgrowing your stuff so quickly. Then why all this halla gulla about Diwali

Don't hush them now....

The minute I start scrolling through my social media account, I start seeing #metoo. And as if seeing stories of women who went through all the horrible things was not enough, people are creating jokes with the hashtag, sharing posts against the campaign that are full of lewd comments from equally insensitive people with sick mentality. Isn't it all, at the end, justifying women's decision to stay silent??? They knew that they wouldn't be believed, that they would be seen as gold-diggers and character less! First thing that all the people are asking is, "Why did they stay silent for so long?" I ask, how do YOU know that they stayed silent? May be they spoke but no one wanted to support them and they alone didn't have courage and resources to go against their predators. May be they spoke but their families hushed them. May be they spoke but they had no platform to make their voice audible. May be they spoke but they were threatened. May be..

How I met my daughter's father

So, like all once upon a time stories... There was a girl who fell in love despite her family's dinasaurous efforts of keeping her away from any boy. I was made to study in a girls' school, neighborhood boys were given bribery (I am sure, in form of Goldmohar tobacco pouches or cheap beedi) to ignore me completely, my father befriended strictly those who were blessed with girl child only. I am sure Lord Budhha's father didn't put such herculean efforts to keep her son away from worldly sorrows that my father put to keep me away from every male of my age who was not my brother in one simple or some complex way. But... But is a strong word. It opens the doors of opportunities in times as dark as our respected politician's heart. Sitting hundreds of miles away, my father was busy sipping his tea hot after throwing me in one of nation's best  "Girls' University" So, "but happened" in my life and I found that in this high-walled, h