Skip to main content

My breastfeeding journey...

So it all started three years ago. I gave birth to a child and without even asking me or any other family member, my newborn daughter was given formula. I was aware of the importance of colostrum but every time  I asked someone about it, I was asked to wait.

On day 2, baby was brought to breast and the nurse told me that nipples are not big enough to latch on so I should give formula. Later, she even tried to elongate my nipples with a syringe!

I was sent to home with a box of formula and no such instructions about breastfeeding. My mother and Mother-in-law told me multiple times a day that I am not producing enough milk and that is why baby is not sleeping properly. They wanted to give baby formula while keep telling me how their breasts kept leaking when they birthed kids. My MIL even told me that she had to discard many bowlful of breast milk because she produced more than her baby needed. Though I may laugh at it now but this depressed me to no end, at then.

I remember when I went for regular check up of my one week old and paediatrician told me that weight is not as much as it should be. I was advised to give her some top feed.
I wonder now; how everyone, be it family members or medical consultants, was in some kind of haste to recommend formula instead of helping a new mom on how to feed.

So once I was back from hospital, my MIL gave my girl some formula and she slept for some 4-5hours. This was the visible proof of my failure but somehow it didn't seem natural. Thankfully, on that very day a dear friend introduced me to BSIM and suddenly all my questions were answered without even actually asking them.

I remember one particular incident which decided the fate of our breastfeeding journey. One night my 20 days old daughter was crying constantly and both me & husband were at the end of our wits. So we thought to give her some formula hoping that it would make her sleep.

One spoon of formula and she spat it, second and third spoons were also rejected. So I hand-expressed some breast milk directly on spoon and she drank it greedily. Another spoon of formula was puked and another spoon of breast milk was gulped down. It became a game for us that night. Despite our exhaustion, We laughed every time she spat formula and drank "my milk"

That night, I knew that I was doing something very right, no matter what anyone else said.

It has been a month since she herself stopped breastfeeding.
I was told many many times that I should "try" to stop her because it will not let her be independent, because she is not eating solids properly, because she is clingy, because later it will be next to impossible to wean her, because this is causing global warming (yes, pun!) And what not.

But she self weaned, without even a word about weaning.

Last week, she asked me for happu (her word for BM)  and I offered. She sucked for a minute and told me happu khatta ho gaya hai (it's sour now) and I know that we are done for forever.

Though I don't actually miss breastfeeding her but i miss the sparkle in her eyes whenever we breastfed. And I feel clueless on how to make her sleep, how to bring her to bed, how to put a stop on every tantrum, how to soothe every fall and bump! Before, all these things were done just by a glimpse of a boob.

Was it easy? No.
Was it worthwhile? Yes, in all possible ways.

If it were not for BSIM, I could not even think of exclusively breastfeeding my chirpy bird who will be 3 years old in a week. I thank all the admins, moderators and members who are helping new moms, answering all possible questions at all times. You all are doing a wonderful job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Diwali shopping for us...

Dear baby, Today, I had a little argument with your mausi. She was asking me to buy you new clothes for Diwali. I was saying that we still have 4-5 new dresses and those are perfect for Diwali. She was not convinced. Then your nani also lectured me some for not buying new clothes for Diwali. I tried to tell them that in past people did not have the luxury of buying new clothes every other month, infact, going to the markets was a luxury in itself. So they used to wait for festivals to go to the market and splurge on shopping. The rarity of this was a charm in itself to mark the beginning of the festivities. But.. today, we go outside every other day. Malls are a place to hang out and if you see something CUTE for the kids, the temptation is too hard to resist. Even if you don't go outside then online shopping is there. Hardly goes a month or two when I am not buying some dress or some toys as you are outgrowing your stuff so quickly. Then why all this halla gulla about Diwali

How I met my daughter's father

So, like all once upon a time stories... There was a girl who fell in love despite her family's dinasaurous efforts of keeping her away from any boy. I was made to study in a girls' school, neighborhood boys were given bribery (I am sure, in form of Goldmohar tobacco pouches or cheap beedi) to ignore me completely, my father befriended strictly those who were blessed with girl child only. I am sure Lord Budhha's father didn't put such herculean efforts to keep her son away from worldly sorrows that my father put to keep me away from every male of my age who was not my brother in one simple or some complex way. But... But is a strong word. It opens the doors of opportunities in times as dark as our respected politician's heart. Sitting hundreds of miles away, my father was busy sipping his tea hot after throwing me in one of nation's best  "Girls' University" So, "but happened" in my life and I found that in this high-walled, h

For the sake of love!!!

Have you ever been to a wedding? Ofcourse, you have! Then have you ever wondered about the story behind a wedding? A story that these two people, who are the most confused on their big day, may have? I always think about it. And try to have a sneak peek into their story, if possible. And then, I exclaim at their reasons to get married... 👉 Because mummy Papa said he is the right one for me. 👉 Because I am 29 and want to get settled. 👉 Because he earns well. 👉 Because my ex left me. I want to show him. 👉 Because he can afford my kind of lifestyle. Be a little more daring and ask parents of bride and groom about their reasons to choose this very Munda or kudi. And the typical answers you will hear are... 👉 Because we are of same status. 👉 Because he did engineering from so-so institute. 👉 Because she is ambitious and dono mil ke kamayenge. 👉 Because they will "let her" do job. 👉 Because family is so open-minded that they "allow" their DILs to